Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Going Into Town by Roz Chast

Roz Chast has done it again - she's made a book I couldn't put down. I love Roz Chast's work and I love New York*, so I knew that the two put together would be a match made in heaven.

Roz was born and raised in Brooklyn and somewhat very reluctantly moved to the suburbs when she had children. Although she frequently took her kids for visits into New York City as they were growing up, when she quizzed her daughter who was moving to Manhattan for college, she realized she was in fact a very suburban girl and she could use a little help. What began as a little booklet Roz made for her daughter about Manhattan turned into a book for the rest of us.

Each chapter focuses on a different aspect of Manhattan life. Everything you need to know is covered, from finding your way around (finding out cross-streets is important), to how the subway works (an empty car is not a stroke of luck - it's empty for a reason), to apartment hunting ("You will probably have to recalibrate your idea of what's affordable, and also make a compromise or two.") Of course, all of these important facts are accompanied by Roz's humorous, quirky illustrations.

And while she states very clearly at the beginning of the book that it's not a definitive guide book, not an insider's guide, nor a history book, it's actually packed full of such helpful information that I feel as though were you to be moving to Manhattan yourself - or just a first-timer visiting for a few days - you'd be armed with a whole lot of great insider information if you pick up this book before you go.

On a personal note, I'd also like to thank Roz for summing up my very own preference of concrete to grass: "For some reason, I've always preferred cities to nature. I am interested in the person-made I like to watch and eavesdrop on people. And I really like DENSITY OF VISUAL INFORMATION." Yes! That right there expresses it perfectly.

(*I claim to love New York even though I've never actually visited. I just know that it's as cool as I picture it being. One day I'll make it there. In the meantime, I'll read about it and continue to live vicariously through others' stories.)

Book cover rating: 4/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment