Friday, February 15, 2019

Passing for Human: A Graphic Memoir by Liana Finck

Passing for Human: A Graphic Memoir

I wanted to like this graphic memoir a little more than I did. I found it a little hard to follow.

Liana (or Leona, as she refers to herself in this book) has lost her shadow. This concept is basically what confuses me - if I'm understanding it right, I think her shadow is the deep core of her true self, but I'm also unsure if the shadow is a darkness she may have inherited from both of her parents who fought their own demons. Liana has trouble forming and maintaining relationships and refers to Aspergers at one point. She's trying to tell her story, but keeps having to rip out what she's done and start again. She begins with her mother's story, then starts over with her father's story. She moves onto her childhood, then a short-lived relationship with a famous comic artist boyfriend. She concludes with a chapter about her shadow. Interspersed are interpretations of a couple of bible stories.

There were certain sections that shone more than others. One thing the author's not afraid of is exploring her inner voice and exposing herself through her art.

You can tell the author inherently needs to draw. She draws to find what she has lost. She draws to fulfill the voids in her life. She draws to find herself.

Book cover rating: 3/5
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment