Tuesday, February 13, 2018

For a grieving friend

When your heart feels as fragile as a shell
As though at any moment it might crack
Leave it with me for a while

I will hold it carefully in my palms
Taking comfort in the rhythm
As you lay your head on your pillow
And close your eyes and rest

* * *
When your head just can't take any more
Remember to breathe

In with the good
Out with the bad

In through your nose
Out through your mouth

In and out
In and out
In and out
Over and over
Until the calm comes to soothe you

It may take a lot of breath
But you will get there

* * *
When you feel unbearably sad
And in over your head
Share your tears with me
So that you can remember 
You are taken care of

Only one thing is expected from you:
That you feel loved

* * *
When the weight of the world
Is too much for your shoulders to bear
I will take the world from you
And remind you
That no one should have to carry that weight alone

It's okay
I have strong shoulders too

* * *
When you are simply too tired to cook a meal
Or to clean your house
Or to buy food to feed yourself
Or anything else at all, big or small

I will bring you food
I will clean your house
I will buy you groceries

I will do anything you need
Anything at all

* * *
When you feel weak
And have no more left to give
Remember that deep down you are strong
But that doesn't mean that you have to be right now

It's okay to soak your aching bones
To tend to your hurting heart
To cry so much you run out of tears

In time you will feel restored
But for now it's okay to give in

It's not the same as giving up

* * *
Take time to grieve
Take time for yourself
But never forget that whenever you need to talk
Or you need a hug
Or a coffee
Or just reassurance that the world isn't in fact crumbling
Know that I am here for you
My friend

There is distance between us
But there really is no distance at all

0 comments:

Post a Comment